Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Rhonanai South Africa

Well, folks....the adventure of a lifetime had to come to an end eventually, and now the end is here. The past two days have been full of a ton of laughs and a lot of reminiscing. Being the big sap that I am, I shed a few tears. The biggest concern on many of our minds is how we're going to explain this experience to our students, our family, our friends, and our colleagues when we get home. It is so hard to put into words all that I saw, felt, and experienced over these past 6 weeks. It has been, without a doubt, some of the best 6 weeks of my life. It has changed me as a person; it's impossible to continue to live my life the way I did prior to this expereince. I can't keep the tunnel vision on any longer.

Ok, on to some fun. We had our final group dinner on Monday night at Africa Cafe. One word: gorgefest. It was a set menu of about 13 dishes from all over the continent. Some awesome eats and a lot of laughs. We presented gifts to our awesome driver, Richard, our favorite South African, Xolani, and Rich and Kay for guiding us on this magnificent journey.

Our last "full" day in Cape Town included a day trip to Paarl and Tulbaugh to visit the Afrikaans Language Monument and the 18-19c Colonial Town. The monument looked like a skate park, so we made our own fun by taking some goofy pictures.


This mound represents the influence of one of the African Language (Sotho, Xhosa or Zulu) on Afrikaans language. We decided it would be more fun just to stand atop the mound and link arms. :)


An added attraction after our lunch in Tulbaugh was a visit to a chocolate shop which include CHOCOLATE TASTING! I had a chili pinotage chocolate, amarula, and almond/pistacio nouget. It was DELISH. I stocked up on some for some special people :)

For our last night in Cape Town, a group of us decided to go to dinner at Mama Africa Cafe for a traditional South African meal of lots of meat: crocodile, kudu, springbok, and ostrich. It was delicious, and the company and friends were even better.


We ended the night by going to the 360 degree bar above the Ritz to get one last breathtaking view of Cape Town.

Today it is pouring rain and it's our last day to run around the city...Not sure what's on the agenda just yet...but I am looking forward to being home. The flight ahead is daunting, but I guess that's just a price I have to pay for this entire experience. So, on that note: Rhonanai South Africa. I hope to see you again one day.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Kristina said...

Hi Trace! I figure you'll get this comment once back home in Michigan. Call me once you've decompressed - I'm sure the next few days will be filled with a wide range of emotions, and everyone's favorite: jet lag! Anyway, thinkin' of you and hoping your flight home goes well! TTUS!

Anonymous said...

facebook likes
1000 facebook likes

http://www.homelessnation.org/en/node/15316 http://ndn.org/blog/2011/03/invite-april-1st-webcast-dhs-sec-napolitano-distinguished-panel-discuss-21st-century-bo
buy facebook likes get facebook likes 1000 facebook likes
I think i have a virus or hijacker or something in my computer as for the past few weeks every website i go on has the same advertisment whereever the advertisments are its for pills. Also when i search for something on like gooogle ect or anything and i click on something like a link it dosent bring up the right link half of the time. I have been trying to do a sytem restore to a point a few months ago when it was fine but when i first click on it nothing happens and so i go back in and click it again and then the window pops up but its comnpletely blank with the wee not reponding icon in the top left hand corner. I dont know what to do to make this work but i recently got nortons 360 on my laptop and ran scans and it removed threats ect but it still happens cant get restore and get thos adds and stuff. I Was told it may be a hijacker. I was wondering if it fixes and ridsit as it hasnt really done any good yet and i paid £60 for it and also how would i do it with it??? Any Ideas ***10 POINTS IF YOU CAN FIX IT****

buy facebook likes buy facebook likes [url=http://1000fbfans.info]buy facebook likes [/url] buy facebook likes