Monday, August 3, 2009

"Cage goes in the water. You go in the water. Shark's in the water!"

"Cage goes in the water. You go in the water. Shark's in the water!" -JawsI am far too tired to blog after my AMAZING, EXHILARATING, AWESOME day. For once in my life, I am at a loss for words. There really are no words to explain the awesomeness and insanity of being in a cage an arm's length away from a 15 foot great white shark. Our day was perfect: 65 and sunny, clearest visibility the crew has seen in YEARS, warmish water, and LOTS OF SHARKS. We saw 8 great whites - ranging from a "baby" of 3 meters to the monster 4.5 meter shark.

Don't worry, I still have all my fingers and toes. :)


The fearless foursome from the NEH group...Me, Deb, Chris and Jake!


That's us in the cage!!! I was in the cage for about 30-45 minutes; it's kind of hard to keep track of time when our guides - Rosie and Brian - are yelling, SHARK ON THE RIGHT! DOWN DOWN!!! The highlight was seeing the 4.5 behemouth swimming right at me with his mouth open. Surprisingly, I really wasn't scared during the entire experience. There was a lot of nervous anticipation, but once I got in the cage, it was just so beautiful to watch a bunch of "volkswagon busses" float by!


HOLY MOLY THE SHARKS WERE CLOSE!! This is taken from the boat...crazy!!!


Close encounter with the shark, the chum, and the cage.The day was just...awesome. A great way to kick off Shark Week!!!Oh - and my tour operator - Brian Mcfarlane does stuff with NatGeo and Discovery all the time! He even ran a shark tour for Jude Law and Maroon 5. The best part of it: he's been doing it for 13 years and STILL gets giddy EVERYTIME he sees a shark!Definitely one of the best days of my 27 years of life...:) Not sure how to top this one...
Posted by Picasa

No comments: