Saturday, August 1, 2009

Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens!!


AFter last night's public transport taxi fiasco, I was more than excited to see Richard and our bus to chauffer us around the city! We spent the morning visiting the Green Point Market which is a pan-Africa market selling anything and everything one could ever want when it comes to African crafts. I swear I'm done shopping after today...but I think I've said that about 5490584903485 times already... Oh well, when will I ever be back in AFrica? Atleast I'm supporting the local economy. Just a hint at what I purchased: it's a really big animal and it requires me to carry it on to the plane. Can't wait!!!

After the market we headed to the Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens. They are the largest botanical gardens in all of Africa and some of the top gardens in the world...I can't even begin to explain how beautiful it was. Now mind you, I'm here in the WINTER and it's some of the most beautiful fauna and flora I've ever seen. The best part about it is that it's set on a hill beside the mountains just out of Cape Town. At the top of the gardens, we got a view of Cape Town. Totally gorgeous...and I think I took 109080234023932948 pictures! I just couldn't get enough of the proteas!

It was a bit overcast today, so the pic doesn't even do it justice. We are at the very top of the gardens overlooking the greens (felt like I was on a golf course!) and Cape Town off in the distance.



The views were beautiful...just like the people on this trip: Heather from AZ, Chris from DC, me and Erika from Portland. I will miss these guys dearly in just 4 days!


Here are some of the flowers that were interdispersed everywhere!! These are in the protea family - which is the national flower of South Africa. Totally awesome!


And finally, a view of the mountains with the misty cloud cover. I just loved the bright flowers to offset the mountains.

After walking around the gardens and grabbing lunch (mmmmm spinach and feta quiche and small greek salad), and hitting the gift shop, of course, we headed off to the Groot Contstania Vineyards for a tour of the winery and an obilgatory taste or two.

It was a very relaxing, enjoyable day full of beauty and great moments with great people. The overall sentiment here is that we're all trying to suck in every moment we have here together. Our flights leave later Wednesday night, and by the magic of jet lag, I'll be stepping off the plane in Detroit on Thursday afternoon, despite being in the air for 20 hours....
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kristina said...

A great trip with amazing sites and experiences, AND cute rugby guys??? Okay, it is now truly official: I am jealous! Lol!

Hey...Kelli & I had a brief chat when I stopped at DHS the other day..."Tracy, you have some 'splain' to do!" (Re - you doing what Kelli told you not to do...)
;o)

Have a safe flight home! I hope to talk to you/see you soon!