Monday, June 29, 2009

Steve BIko, Scenery that doesn't suck and a Touch of Madness

Steve Biko, Scenery that doesn't suck, and A Touch of Madness

Monday, June 29 10pm.

I can't believe I've already been here for almost a week...it feels like I've been here for a month already. Time seems to pass by pretty slowly, which is great because I am just loving every second of this experience. The group is really coming together, but I can start to see some of the cliques breaking off. We're definitely forming a sense of group dynamic. Elayna and I hang out with Chris quite often and he always says "Yeah yeah yeah!" when in conversation, so now we have started doing it constantly. It reminds me of that paper I wrote at UofM about language usage in groups and how we had our own AGD talk back at 1322 Hill...the same thing is happening here and we laugh every time we go YEAH YEAH YEAH. I guess it's just further proof that these are some awesome people I'm around.

Today was a lecture day (South Africa 94-present) and then we had our first group discussion session. One of the educational components of the trip includes four group discussion sections led by a panel of teachers. Today was the history seminar and it included "hooters". South African's call blow horns "hooters" and we first heard the term used when Kay said it a few days back about how if we hear the hooter when we are up on Table Mountain we need to return to the cable car ASAP because of strong winds. Well, the "hooter" has turned into a huge joke and the group today bought soccer horns to sound when we needed to wrap up discussion. The session was really interesting - the group asked what one event is South African history is the most definitive. We had a great discussion and debate on many events from the initial colonization, to the spread of the Bantu people, the 1994 election, and the apartheid. These people are seriously SO smart when it comes to SA history...I'm just really looking forward to the lit and culture section which begins tomorrow. My group presents on Wednesday.

This afternoon we headed to the Slave Lodge Museum which had a great exhibit about the Cape Town Slave Trade and the Dutch East India Company (VOC). The highlight, however, was a traveling exhibit on Steve Biko who was an organizer of the Black Conscious movement who was killed by police brutality in 1977. The police went on record to say that he died of a hunger strike, when in reality he was killed by a blow to the head and was left to die on the floor of a jail cell during the apartheid. It was quite possibly one of the most moving exhibits I have seen in my life...everyone in the group agreed that it was very poignant and emotional for everyone. I am excited because it was a traveling exhibit from the Apartheid Museum in Johannesburg and we will be there in a few weeks. so if the Biko exhibit was any indication, the museum will be great.

To decompress after the museum, Chris, Mary and I decided to walk down to the beach to get some of our reading done. Yes, I actually have to do some work over here, so don't worry, your tax dollars are going to good use. We stopped and got coffee on the way and found a bench right on the beach on the running path. Another beautiful day (about 65 and sunny) with a perfectly clear sunset. We read for about 45 minutes before we were too inspired by the scenery and had to snap some pictures. It was impossible not to get a good shot or an amazing view. It was by far one of the most beautiful sunsets I've seen in my life...right up there with Glen Arbor, Michigan and the Caribbean. While I was sitting there soaking in the warm rays, the musky sea air, sounds of waves crashing paired with the sounds of children playing on the swing set 100 yards away, I couldn't help to be thankful for this entire experience and pinch myself again because I AM IN AFRICA.

At UWC today we asked Xolani, our lecture coordinator, what his favorite restaurant in Cape Town was. He suggested we go to a tiny place called A Touch of Madness out in the Observatory neighborhood. A group of us hailed a cab to the restaurant and ended up in this little tiny house converted into a restaurant on a side street in a social neighborhood. The house was full of antiques and the restaurant featured different events each night. Tonight they had a poetry reading, but unfortunately it wasn't going on when we were there. The food was delicious and the company was even better. It was definitely one of those restaurants with so much character (not to mention good food - and reasonable!). I love going to truly "local" places like that - it really allows you to get the pulse of the city or neighborhood.

Well I've got some reading to finish, postcards to write...and YEAH YEAH YEAH. :)

Peace, Love and Africa! :)
Brazilian Celebration!

Sunset at the beach in Capetown

My People: Elayna and Chris
Kim and I afraid to fall off the mountain
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the blog...love the pictures...love that you are having an amazing time...love that you are experiencing this...love YOU!!!
:)

Anonymous said...

HI TRACY! Sounds like you are having an amazing time. I love reading your blog. I'm living vicariously through you! So you go girl! Love, Mare

Tracy Krzezewski said...

Love you both - my two moms!!! <3

Anonymous said...

Wow Trace--so far sounds like you are having a great experience. Love the blog and pictures. I'm enjoying reading about your adventures every a.m.
Love, Aunt Nancy