Saturday, May 23, 2009

One Month to Go!

When I applied for the NEH Summer Institute in South Africa grant back in February, I never thought I'd be on my way to South Africa just 4 months later.  Applying was a long shot; I couldn't decide between applying for a Steinbeck institute in Salinas, CA and the institute in South Africa.  As much as I love Steinbeck, I figured I might as well go for broke and apply for South Africa.  

On a Monday at the end of March I was home sick from school with a cold/sinus thing.  I had a kermit the frog voice and I had just returned home from the doctor when my phone rang and said "Unavailable."  I contemplated not answering it, but I am sure glad that I did.  Upon picking up the call, I was greeted by Rich Corby's voice and was told I was chosen as one of the 25 applicants to attend the Seminar.  I immediately started dancing around my kitchen and instantly felt better!  Rich probably thinks I have some deep manly voice due to my cold at the time!  After hanging up and contininuing my happy dance, I immediately called my mom and told her the news.  She was beyond excited as well and I think more in shock than I was!  When I called my dad, his first response was "so I guess that means I have to cut your grass this summer!"  Haha, he knows how much I HATE cutting the grass, and now he has to do it for 6 weeks!  Yes!  I received the confirmation paperwork a few days later and sent it back.  Lo and behold, I was South Africa bound!  

Over the past 2 months I have been dilligently researching and preparing for my trip.  I've been toiling on what to pack/bring with my on my trip.  With only one suitcase and a recommended packing list of just 3 pairs of pants and 5 shirts, I am having a packing crisis!!  I guess I really have to narrow down my 3 closets worth of clothes (ah the perks of living alone!) to decide what to bring.  Shopping was necessary, of course!  I'm still playing with the idea of getting a HP netbook to take on my trip to make blogging and communicating easier(not to mention to curb my facebook addiction!)!  I bought the required books....too bad I've been too busy with school (darn research papers!) to truly put in the time to read them.  Good thing I have a 19 hr flight... I've been to the doctor and been turned into the human pin cushion to get all my required shots so I don't catch any heinous diseases while out in the bush.  Lets just say that getting three shots on the same day is NOT fun.  I felt like I was punched in both arms, and it lasted for 3 days.  OH well, it will be worth it.  I've also received all my prescriptions (no malaria for me!), and I'm pretty much ready to go.  

So with that, I have a month left, and I know it's just going to fly by and keep me crazy busy with all of the lovely end of the year finals and classroom close-out.  Before I know it, I'll be boarding my flight to Amsterdam and I'll be off on my adventure of a lifetime.  I can't wait.  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

TK-
Sounds like a wonderful trip! I cannot wait to see your pics. Have fun and I wish you safe travels!
xoxox
ABbey

Elaine said...

We are SOOOOO excited for you! Your blog will be the first thing we read at breakfast every day. (did I tell you I was retired?)

We are very, very proud of you. Enjoy every moment of your journey this summer. Can't wait to hear all the details and see all your pics.

We must plan a party on your return to life in Michigan.